Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Future: The Second Part of My Quest

This blog is winding down. I have enjoyed it immensely, more than I thought I ever would. Thanks, Barbe, for encouraging me to do this. We are back home and although there are still some events I would like write about, I think that I will only do one more post after this one. I will sum up the third part of my Quest in The Good, The Bad...and My Conclusion.

As I wrote at the beginning of this blog, my Quest was three part.
1. To search for people who have chosen to live life differently, who exhibit great faith, or who are ordinary people doing extraordinary things because of their faith. I met many in my time in HN.
2. To give our personal future more clarity and focus. I believe that has happened.
3. To see if our "Christain religious system" is actually working in a country where opportunity to help and make a difference abounds. A place into which we Christians pour millions of dollars each year in the name of missions.

Our Future.

I have had several people ask me, "So, was it worth it?" All five of us reply with a resounding, YES. We spent only a little more in the two months we were in Honduras (language school being the largest part of the budget) than we would have spent, say on a Disney Vacation. The experiences we had, the friendships we made, the help we were able to give, learning a second language...all of it, priceless.

So where does the Wolfe Family go from here? Well, first of all back to work. Without a doubt, we want to return to Honduras. Currently we are making tentative plans to return for perhaps a year this November. It will mean big changes for us. We will need to rent our house, sell some of my equipment, etc. I have no desire to raise support unless it is through a specific project, but choose instead to make my own living or just use our savings. I already have some ideas that I am working on to make that happen.

The next question is the obvious. What will we do there? Continuing to improve on our Spanish has to be near the top of the list. Without being able to speak the language, we miss out on, really, all that life in HN has to offer. But that will come with time. We currently have, or had, two opportunities to help exisiting organizations that we are looking at.

1. In my last blog I wrote about the well drilling. I have been talking with Tim Nelson about taking the rig and making it into a viable ministry. It will bring clean water to communities, help the local church make a difference in peoples physical lives, help provide 2 or 3 part time jobs to some of the local men (something I am passionate about) and bring in some financial aid to SEBCAH. Obviously, one well does not make me an expert. Todd Heumann is already planning on returning in January 2013 to help me drill another well, possibly in the coastal town of Arizona. I have met the pastor and his wife who live there and I believe this would be an ideal spot to put our ideas to the test.

2. Destino del Reino: Before we left we had several good conversations with Rhonda about working with her, managing all of her short term missions teams and getting to know the fathers of the children in the school. As she and I discussed her needs further, it became clear that at least for now, she needs more than I could commit to. We are disappointed because she really has a beautiful work going on there, but completely understand. In my opinion, Destino remains part of our future, but time will tell. There is the very real possibility that I will be driving a donated tractor trailer loaded with farm equipment from SE Colorado to Honduras later on this summer for use on Destino's property.

One thing is for sure, you don't have to look very hard to find something worthwhile to do in Honduras. I was amazed at how many individuals, groups and organizations are constantly at work in HN. Medical teams, church groups, people starting orphanages and schools on there own. I think of my friend David Ashby in La Ceiba. Retired from Dole at 65, he now has a beautiful orphanage 6 years later. Check out his website at Helping Honduras Kids. Or Tommy from IMB who I ran into at SEBCAH many times along with his wife, daughter and son in law. A home church based stm ministry that has grown rapidly over the last few years. By the way, thanks for the offer to accompany you guys to Limpira. I was very sorry I was unable to go. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you love people, care about the poor and are willing to give your hearts, your time and your money, the possibilities are endless. But you have to go. That is what we really want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment