Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Good,The Bad and...My Conclusion (part 2)

Before I write, let me be very clear. I have no reason to doubt the good intentions of everyone involved in missions or the supporting organizations. These observations and opinions are mine alone and are a direct result of being involved in missions over the past 15 years. I have participated, lead, and planned STM teams. I was on the missions committee at the church we attended in Maine for several years which at one time was involved in supporting 54 individual missionaries and/or organizations. I have visited several foreign countries and the missionaries there. I still believe in missions. But, like all systems, sometimes we need to take a fresh look at how and why we are doing the things we do. That's all this is. A look at some of the areas which bother me about what's going on in missions and if I can help bring about change, or even just get people thinking, then it is worth my time.


The Bad


What could possibly be bad about missions? What is a missionary? Isn't just giving to missions enough? Should I be concerned about how my money is being used? How would I know if it isn't being used correctly? So many questions. I've heard them all at one time or another. Board meetings, committee meetings, church business meetings, personal conversations, especially anytime money is involved. I tried to get a dollar amount that the American church gives specifically to missions each year, but really couldn't nail it down. I think it's very safe to say that it is in the billions. Enough to feed all the hungry people in the world one meal a day? Enough to provide for all the orphans in the world? To provide clean drinking water to everyone who needs it? I'm thinking that the answer to these questions might be...yes, or at least close. Some will say that these are not the reasons we do missions, that it is to preach the Gospel and you are correct. If this is the case, then the answer should definitely be yes. Because surely it doesn't cost billions of dollars each year to speak to people, after all...the Good News of the Gospel is free. Then, with all the money, all the effort, all the man power, why are we not turning the world up side down?

Although there are several things that really make me question how our missions system is operating, probably the number one thing is the amount of money we spend on ourselves and on buildings and how little really seems to get to the people. For instance, many local pastors are not paid enough by the churches to feed their families. Why don't we support more of these guys? I raised the question in a previous post, Meet the Nelson's, why do we feel that our American missionaries need to be kept in an American lifestyle while living in another country. It bothers me on several levels. I'm the first to admit that I don't have the whole picture here, maybe not even half. I'm just writing from the viewpoint of someone on the outside looking in.  

1. From a question of effectiveness: Let's put it in context. If Bill Gates came by my neighborhood once or twice a week with a few words of comfort as I slave away trying to put food on my table, maybe gave me a gift or two and left, would I really be interested in anything other than the gifts. Would I find myself beginning to resent him. In these countries where the poverty level is extreme, is it right for us to live in the better houses in town, or on the lake, or the ocean, to have servants, pools, gardeners, security etc? (I'm not saying that all missionaries have all these things, but I know of many who do.) I don't know, I'm just asking the question.

2. Buildings: One of the things that always surprises me is seeing how much money we pour into buildings in countries where people struggle just to survive. And it isn't just in foreign countries. Take a look around America, it doesn't take long to find some multi million dollar church building. We Americans have such a love for buildings, for organizations and for monuments to our efforts. Don't take this wrong, buildings have their place, but at some point we need to remember that it is people we are there to help. I  was told by a man in Honduras who has an orphanage that it is always very easy to raise money for a building project, but getting people to commit to $30 per month to feed and provide for a child...not so much.

3. Financial accountability: Should there be some kind of lifestyle/project accountability to those who give to support missions? As I write I'm thinking of my friend Judy. She's in her mid to late 60's, lives in an older well maintained, but small mobile home. Her body hurts, especially after a day stocking shelves at the grocery store. She should retire, but really can't afford to. She gives faithfully to missions each month. I know a lot of these types of hardworking, faithful givers to missions even as rising gas prices leave less and less money at the end of the week to splurge on a pizza. What about the elderly couple living on so called social security. Should the system feel any responsibility towards these people in the manner their gifts are spent?

I'm not in anyway saying that there is any type of misuse of funds or illegality happening in missions. No, in all of this we are very above board. There are no off shore bank accounts, no luxury, all expense paid cruises happening. What has happened, in my opinion, is that the "system" has normalized a certain level of expectations so that all involved can live freely without the need to question. What would Jonathan Goforth, William Carey, George Mueller, David Livingstone, Jim Elliot and so many others say about American missions if they could see us today? Have we turned missions in to big business? Have we turned missions into the best kept secret in the world?

Now I'm going to get personal. With myself. (Gotchya',didn't I.) As Barbe and I look at living in Honduras, we have often had this conversation. What is that going to look like for US? At what level are WE willing to live. How much are WE willing to give to those in need. How financially secure do WE need to be in order to go. Is there a minimum level of housing in which WE would be willing to live and anything below that is out of the question. Will WE go even if it means supporting ourselves or going hungry? When it gets dangerous, will WE leave? When we get discouraged, is God going to call us to a more exciting ministry? Do I need to live any less than I would in the United States. Just because I can afford it because the dollar goes such a long way, should I? What impression are we giving the people we come to serve by the way we live, the things we won't do or the things we have? If we answer any of these questions in a way that reflects poorly on our willingness to serve in any capacity, in any style in a any foreign country, then can I say this in all honesty, maybe we really aren't called to be there.

I certainly don't have all the answers, but I sure have a lot of questions. No, I don't have a doctrine of poverty or a martyr complex. I do think of Him who we are to model our lives after. He who left the riches and glory of Heaven to come and live not only among the poor, but as the poor. He did this so that He could understand ALL of our troubles, our weaknesses, our needs. He tells us this in John_13:16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, a servant is not greater than his lord; neither one that is sent greater than he that sent him.
Food for thought?

Next, I will try to sum up all this in My Conclusion. As always your comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment