Friday, March 16, 2012

The Wall Came Down

Thursday, Barbe and I went to Comayagua to check on the progress of the house we are helping repair. (see: A Project of Love and Hope.) Travis Hester was kind enough to give us a ride there and back in his pick up. Everything is looking good and Jimmy thinks they should have it done by next weekend.


On a humorous note, I like to use the expression "looks good" a lot. I, without checking with Reverso first, translated that phrase as "seems good" not "looks good". Not only does it mean "seems more or less good" but, it comes with the idea of "seems less than more". I used it quite a bit too. Finally, Orlando the albanil (mason), said, "Mike, is it good or not good." I said, "Yes, it seems more or less good." Orlando, "Yes or no Mike. Is it good or not good." Finally I just said, "Yes, it's good." He seemed happy with that, but later I started thinking about it and asked Martin what exactly I had been saying. After he explained it to me I felt terrible, because the men are really doing excellent work. First thing this morning I had Mercedes call Jimmy and explain to him what had happened. I think I can safely say I know just enough Spanish to be dangerous!

Me talking with Jimmy. Orlando is in the background.
No, I'm not getting ready to hit him!

Wilton mixing concrete.

Another good thing that happened with all this is that the we were able to give the next door neighbor all the old adobe blocks so he can build a kitchen. I think this should help a bit with the underlying jealousy in the neighborhood that sometimes accompanies some of these projects. This is something that needs to always be taken into consideration prior to starting a project. In other words...will the project do more harm than good. Missions agencies have come up with all different kinds of ways to help with this. Often they choose to only give through the local church. Although this is a good idea, there is nothing quite like the personal gift that says I love you and I care about you. Thanks again to all of you who have said, "We care".


Jimmy and me standing in front of the old adobe blocks. I think we are watching Wilton mix cement.

No comments:

Post a Comment