Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Mercedes: Her Story

I began this part of my Quest, this searching for people of great faith, several years ago. I had great expectations of encountering some of these people here in Honduras. That is one of the reasons I am here. I have not been disappointed. However, I never imagined that one of the first would be my Spanish teacher. Allow me to introduce to you a woman of tremendous faith, trust and confidence in Jesus made evident by her words, life and actions.

Mercedes

Mercedes was born in Cerro Azul, an aldea in Central Honduras. She says it is a beautiful place located within the boundaries of a National Park. A rushing river splits the town in two. Hills surround it and outside of town is a waterfall of great beauty. It is some 15 minutes off the Pan American Highway. Her father and mother have very little education, but plenty of natural ability. Her father for many years has been the lead Councilman (rough translation) of Cerro Azul and a coffee grower. He is well liked and respected by all. Her mother has an entrepreneurial spirit and has done well buying and selling food and agricultural items. 

None of her older siblings continued their schooling, but Mercedes wanted to go on to college. She attended Instituto Leon Alvarado, graduating with a Bachelor’s degree in Social Promotion. During her time at college she met and eventually married Jairo. They have a son, now eleven, they also named Jairo after his father.

Several years after meeting each other they began attending church, but only superficially. When their son was five years old, her husband disappeared. No trace, no indication of unhappiness, no word from him since. As Mercedes tells me her story, tears begin to trickle down her cheeks, she is still devastated. So is her son. They both miss Jairo and not knowing how or why are probably the most difficult things of all now.

I asked permission to write her story here. When she agreed, I asked her to write down what she would like me to say about herself. The following is what she wanted to express. I have taken the liberty to reword her writing while at the same time attempting to retain her expressions and thoughts. I have added some additional aspects of her life to the story. Because of the length of this page I will continue her story tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment